Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Yippie- I- Yay!

Conner is POTTY TRAINED! After a number of attempts at potty training we were finally successful! We were starting to worry that he would prefer diapers forever! We decided to try something new… we told Conner that the diaper fairy would be coming to take his diapers and would give them to a baby who needed them. (aka Jayden in a few months.) We really hoped it would work because there was no going back! The next morning he ran to the cupboard to check on his diapers… they were gone and in their place were underwear and pull-ups. At first he tried to talk us into going to the store to buy him more diapers but we convinced him that wearing “big boy underwear” was super cool and that we could celebrate by having a “potty party” that night… trying really hard to get him excited about the idea. We took him to the store to pick out more undies, a potty stool, balloons, ice cream, and a movie. It was New Year’s Eve so we rung in the New Year by getting excited about using the potty! It really only took about 2 weeks before he got the hang of it. The biggest obstacle was getting him to poop on the potty… I had to bribe him to sit on the potty by letting him play computer games… don’t judge! He now just goes on his own and we hardly ever have to remind him anymore. My proudest moments are when I hear Conner come out of his room in the morning, go potty, flush the toilet, go back into his room, and shut the door. He is still quite poop shy… he will probably kill me when he is older for sharing so much but it is too funny not to document! He used to make me stand in the bathroom facing away from him and he would randomly yell “Mom, don’t tell me!”… and I have been silent the entire time so I say “Conner, I didn’t say anything.” … he yells back “Mom, stop talking to me!” He now makes me wait in the hall and he closes and locks the door and will only let me back in when he is finished. Haha! So proud of this big boy!

1 comment:

Victoria Gilbert said...

haha so funny! Good job... potty training is not for the faint of heart! ;)